Respected broadcast industry professional K Madhavan, Managing Director of Star & Disney India, has been elected to lead the IBF as President at the 21st AGM of the Indian Broadcasting Foundation. He succeeds another industry stalwart, N P Singh, India MD and CEO, Sony Pictures Networks, who held the position for two years, and who has welcomed his successor “wholeheartedly’, saying Madhavan’s “in-depth knowledge and insights into the sector will help guide the foundation members through these challenging times”.
Also elected as office bearer vice presidents of the IBF are Rajat Sharma, Vice President-IBF and Chairman, India TV; Siddharth Jain, Managing Director (South Asia), Turner International, and Rahul Joshi, Managing Director, Viacom18. Prasar Bharati CEO Shashi S Vempati will serve the IBF alongside his other illustrious fellow professionals, as Treasurer.
Madhavan said, “It is my honor to lead IBF at a time when the Indian broadcasting sector is going through a tumultuous time, battling the pandemic and instability in the regulatory space. IBF has played an instrumental role in advocating the interests of the sector, and my predecessors have contributed immensely in evolving the foundation’s stature and purpose. I take on this role with a great sense of responsibility and commitment to champion the cause of the broadcasting sector.”
Outgoing IBF President N.P Singh showered fulsome praise on his successor at the IBF, when he said, “I am pleased that someone of the caliber of K Madhavan is taking over the reins and will lead the foundation. I welcome his selection wholeheartedly. His in-depth knowledge and insights into the sector will help guide the foundation members through these challenging times. I wish him the best in this new endeavor.”
It will be recalled that Madhavan has been an active IBF member for the last 8 years now, and also chairs the CII’s National Committee on media and entertainment for the ongoing year. Madhavan began his journey with Star in 2009 and took over as Managing Director of the Network in January 2020.
Other Directors on the IBF Board are:
- Aroon Purie, Chairman, TV Today
- N P Singh, MD & CEO, Sony Pictures Networks and Director, Bangla Entertainment
- I Venkat, Director, Eenadu TV Ltd
- Punit Goenka, MD & CEO, Zee Media Corp
- Punit Misra, CEO-Domestic Broadcast Business, Zee Entertainment
- Rohit Gupta, President (Network Sales and International Business), Sony Pictures Networks
- Uday Shankar, President, The Walt Disney Company Asia Pacific and Chairman, Star and Disney India
- Megha Tata, Managing Director (South Asia), Discovery Communications India (Co-opted Director)
- John Brittas, Managing Director & Chief Editor, Malayalam Communications Ltd (Co-opted Director)