The COVID 19 crisis has changed an average Indian’s life. With schools and colleges being shut coupled with corporates and governments encouraging employees to work from home, Indians in the metropolitan cities are looking at ways to keep themselves entertained and/ or to find “companions”.
Kantar – VTION’s passive OTT Audio Audience Measurement service data reveals that there was a 42% increase (amongst consumers Able to Consume OTT / Streaming Audio platforms) in time spent on listening to OTT/ Streaming Audio apps. Last month, Kantar and VTIONTM’ launched OTT Audience Measurement service- a first of its kind, passive, continuous audience measurement service which attempts to bring the streaming audio medium at par with Radio, TV, Print and Digital platforms
So, what is driving this growth?
- Social distancing is the new norm! With the consumers being forced to be housebound in the current environment, a large number of “new users” (consumers who were not tuning into OTT / Streaming Audio Apps in the previous period) have started using these services
- Amongst various demographic groups that were analyzed, two segments display huge growth in the time spent on listening to OTT/ Streaming Audio apps:
- Over 50% growth in the time spent on listening amongst the age group of 18-24 – a reflection of the closure of colleges and youngsters being housebound and looking for alternate entertainment options?
- Consumer in the age group of 25-34 have shown a 30% growth in usage – perhaps driven by the fact that they are Working from Home (WFH) and using the OTT/ Streaming apps as a companion medium
In terms of daypart wise consumption behaviour, the study shows that new “peaks” are emerging as far as consumption of OTT/ Streaming Audio apps is concerned. The report reveals a 52% growth in the incidence of listening in the afternoons – between 2 noon to 6 pm. Late night (post-midnight till 6 AM in the morning) registers an 80% increase in the incidence of listening, compared to the last month.
Will the current environment change consumer behaviour? Will the consumers continue to avail of the OTT / Streaming Audio services? Will the medium grow? Only time will tell.
When we were still thinking of love
Notwithstanding the COVID 19 crisis and the less than optimistic mood all around, love & romance were in top form last month.
A look at the Top 10 Songs that streamed all through the Valentine month of February 2020 from Kantar – VTION’s passive OTT Audio Audience Measurement service.
|Shayad||Love Aaj Kal||Hindi|
|Illegal Weapon 2.0||Street Dancer 3D||Hindi|
|Muqabla||Street Dancer 3D||Hindi|
|Garmi||Street Dancer 3D||Hindi|
|Chal Ghar Chalen||Malang||Hindi|
|Tum Hi Aana||Marjaavaan||Hindi|
Source: Kantar-VTION OTT Audio Audience Measurement service
Some insights from the analysis of Top 100 songs:
- Street Dancer 3D songs made people sway as the three dance numbers appeared in the Top 10
- Kabir Singh songs were Valentine’s Day favorites
- Longing and missing someone was expressed by streaming “Tum Hi Aana” (Zubin Nautiyal) and “Chal Ghar Chalen (Arijit Singh)
- Playlists featuring: “Slow Romantic Bollywood” were also popular
- Gaana users expressed their romantic side with “#ChocolateDaySpecial” playlist
- While Bollywood & Punjabi music dominated the month, songs from a Telugu movie “Ala Vaikunthapurramloo” made their debut on the Top 10 chart. Listeners were hooked to the soulful “Samajavaragamana” (Sid Sriram) and the peppy “Buttabomma” from the album.
The OTT Audio Audience Measurement offering brings together Kantar’s expertise in media measurement and Consumer insights with VTIONTM’s proprietary audience measurement technology and data management framework to provide a unique, comprehensive understanding of audience behaviour, insights for communication planning as well assessment of ROI for media investments across OTT Video platforms, OTT Audio Streaming & Podcasting and Broadcast Radio FM Platforms.
The study is based on a robust sample size of 9000+ stretching across the top 9 cities (Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune, Ahmedabad & Lucknow/Kanpur) among male and female of the age group of 18+ and across SEC A, B & CDE.