Golden Ratio Films (GRF) the Film Production and Distribution arm of the Singapore-based Media Investment entity Vistas Media Capital (VMC), has co-produced ‘Maadathy – an unfairy tale’, a Tamil independent feature film. This is their first production to enter the Busan International Film Festival for a world premiere screening. Golden Ratio Films has previously produced feature- as well as commercial films in various genres and languages such as Hindi, Marathi, and Tamil.
- This film is a tale about a young girl who grew up in an oppressed caste, the “unseeable”, and how she refused to be defined by her birth identity and came to be immortalized as their local deity, Maadathy.
- The film reflects on caste, gender, violence, faith that are embedded in the culture and adapts a style that makes it a contemporary fairy tale. Directed by filmmaker Leena Manimekalai, this feature film is a mix of drama and mystery.
- Co-Producer Piiyush Singh said, “We are… delighted… to announce that the film is going to have its world premiere at the Busan International Film Festival 2019. This is an ideal platform to showcase the beautiful story that Leena has captured through the film. It is an attempt to highlight the struggles of an oppressed community and generate awareness about the same in the mass audience through one of the finest film festivals of the world.”
- Director Leena Manimekalai said “Korean Cinema has always been a guiding light for me as an independent filmmaker. So, It is super thrilling to be starting Maadathy’s journey from Busan, South Korea the land of remarkable cinema. And a world premiere at Busan will definitely bring the deserving visibility to the tale of the oppressed, the un-seeable, what Maadathy stands for. I am bursting with gratitude for my crew, cast, co-producers and each and every crowd funder for pinning their hopes on Maadathy.”
- Busan International Film Festival is a renowned platform for films to engage with its audience on a wider scale. Providing spotlight to emerging directors and producers, BIFF is the ideal platform for ‘Maadathy’ to cater to a larger audience.
- With a cast of commendable artists like Ajmina Kasim, Patrick Raj, Semmalar Annam, Arul Kumar, and others, the film will be screened at BIFF 2019, that is to take place from 3rd October – 12th October 2019 in Haeundae-gu, Busan, South Korea.